Photos By, Phung Photography

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Salt Lake 1/2 Marathon


Well I did it, I survived my next 1/2 marathon. Not only did I survive it, I kicked its butt!!! I beat my first race time by 30 minutes and 34 seconds. OK, granted I was just lucky to finish my first one at all so I was happy with any time at all. But I am really proud of the outcome of this race.
This race was so much fun! That's not to say that I wasn't way nervous leading up to it. I was a nervous wreck. I think its because I had done it before and so I knew what to expect. But this race was much better than my last. I was much better prepared physically for it and it payed off in ever way, I was faster, my muscles didn't cramp up and I was not nearly as sore afterwards.

Saturday morning in the car on the way there I was of course freaking out, but once we got there I was just ready to go. It could have had something to do with the fact that I thought the race started at 7:30 and we got there at 3 minutes to 7, and apparently it started at 7. Just enough time to do a real quick stretch, turn my ipod on, give Nic a kiss and butt in line!!! There were so many people, it took me 1:22 just to cross the starting line. Fortunately they were using the chip system, (everyone has a chip on there shoe so that there time starts when they cross the starting line and ends when they cross the finish line). Just to give you an idea of the mass of people there were 1067 marathon finishers and 4125 1/2 marathon finishers, not to mention all the people that started the race but for one reason or another didn't finish. The good thing about such a big race is that I could always look behind me and there were still a lot of people back there, (it makes you feel better if you know your not the last one)!

I started out really strong running the first 6 miles in just over one hour. I had to stop to use the restroom twice on the course, I don't know what the deal was there. I ended up walking only at the aid stations so that I could drink my water or Gatorade and get my GU packs down without sharing it all with my body!

My sister and her two little boys were waiting on the corner as I was leaving Liberty Park so I got to drop my jacket with her and seeing someone cheering me on really boosted my spirits and gave me that little push I needed at that point, (10 miles). When the race turned onto State Street we were at about mile 11. The coolest part of the whole race was when I was passed by a big Army truck that had a big clock on the back and like four photographers in the back and then just behind them, Joseph Mutinda, the man in first place for the Marathon.

That's right I ended up getting passed by four marathoners, but it was by far the most awesome thing to see. They were absolutely incredible to see. He finished the Marathon in 2:16:39 averaging 5:13 minute miles. The second place winner was more than 5 minutes behind him, INCREDIBLE!!!
I walked up the last little bit of State Street until we hit South Temple, (that was quite a hill and at that point everyone was walking). As soon as I got up onto South Temple I only had one more mile to go until the end at Gateway so I just took off, doing the last mile in a little more than 8 minutes and passing at least 50 people.

Finished in: 2:27:50 11:17/avg. per mile
Placed: 424/557 in my age group, 1811/2544 out of all the women and 3189/4125 overall.
That's me on the left in the back with a blue shirt

It was incredible and totally got me excited for the next one where I would like to cut off another 10 to 15 minutes off my time.
My goal is to be ready for the Salt Lake Marathon next year!
The first women marathoner, Nadezda Tuptova.

6 comments:

Fancy Pants said...

Seriously! Way to go!!! I sooooo am not a runner! HA!

Jared said...

Did I ever tell you you're my hero? You're everything I wish I could be?

Lizzie said...

You are a rock star! That is so hard core and freaking awesome! Next for me is a 10k but i have been toying with the idea of a 1/2 marathon - it's a little scary though!

Nicole said...

Way to go Andrea! You are my inspiration. Thanks for letting us all live vicariously though you!!

H said...

Great job Annie!!!

Carina said...

Absolutely AMAZING Andrea! Way to go!